Friday, May 13, 2016

Write Me A Love Story

Another poem. This time about love. So here's a secret. I used to hate writing poetry. When I was in high school, I took a creative writing class, thinking most of it would be fiction writing. Boy was I wrong. I was absolutely dismayed to find out that most of what we would be writing would be poetry. My poor, poor teacher. But throughout the class, I came to appreciate poetry more than I ever thought I would. I even participated in a poetry slam, something I never pictured myself doing. I even managed to get to the second wrong but got my tush beaten by much more deserving people. Also, my poetry was angsty as a teenager is apt to be. I hope you enjoy this. And I promise, there will be more Bjarke and Iona within the next day.

[WP] Write me a love story!


Love stories are like dreams.

Equally thrilling and terrifying.

Love stories engage a person's passion

and engage a person's rage.

Love stories are written by traveling lips

and bold declarations.

Love stories are written by tender fingertips

trailing fire down a spine.

Love stories can be full of pain

and venom can drip from pointed fangs.

Love stories are told as fairy tales

and are as delicate as a fairy's wing.

Love stories can be built on lies

and false promises.

Love stories can be built on strength

and unrelenting faith.

Love stories are a meeting of hands,

lips,

eyes,

minds,

hearts...

Love stories are written, not by societal expectations,

but the conviction of people.

Love can build bridges

and tear down walls.

Go forth and discover a love story,

one that is solely yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment