Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Brave

I really like the idea of a prompt almost being like dialogue. I think it gives it an interesting touch.

[WP] I need you to be brave


I held my breath, sweat dripping down my back. I waited, balanced on the edge of a precipice. Each minor hiccuping breath put me closer and closer to being discovered.

"Come now," came the deep, silken voice from the shadows. "Come to me."

I trembled and my leg muscles screamed in pain as I stayed crouched from behind a low wall. I had glimpsed the ill omen, it's bone white fingers beckoning. The words were enticing, almost like a lullaby. But I knew better. This is what the world had been running from. We had been successful until it caught up with us, the one person left I cared about sacrificing himself in the shattered calm.

"I need you to be brave," Nader had whispered to me. "I will draw it away."

I had let out a small sob and grasped his hands, dark against my pale skin.

"If you draw it away, you will die."

It hadn't even been a question. Just a cold, hard fact. Instead of answering me, he gave me a sad look then darted away. Not too long after he left me, I heard his tortured screams. I should have hidden in a better spot after he disappeared into the foggy night. If I had, I wouldn't have found myself hidden behind an inefficient wall with a harbinger of death stalking me.

"I found you," came a singsong voice above me head.

I looked up and found myself staring into a death masque.

"I need you to be brave..."

Nader's last words echoed in my head. The muscles in the thighs bunched as I sprang forward, launching myself at the creature.

I would be brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment