Thursday, June 2, 2016

A Life for a Life

Quick prompt this time. We all would like to think we're good enough people to sacrifice ourselves for others, but in reality, I think most of us are of the thought, someone else will do it and that's how situations like Kitty Genovese happen.

[WP] The internal monologue of a person who sacrifices themselves for a stranger.

I never thought I would be on the pavement bleeding out. Granted, I also didn't think I was the kind of person who would stand up for someone I didn't know. But low and behold, I apparently was and that's how I ended up stabbed.

I had always thought I would be the kind of person who would do whatever they could for strangers until a grew up and realized no one would care of thank you. But this man had been harassing this young woman and something in me just snapped. He was being cruel and threatening and I decided that I had seen enough, praise be damned.

By my altruistic intentions had been my undoing. In my fading vision, I saw the young woman sobbing over me. She was pressing my wounds with as much pressure as she could to staunch the bleeding. I tried to tell her it was okay and that I was happy she was safe but it came out as a gurgling breath.

In the last few minutes, I had come to terms with the fact I would die. And I was surprisingly at peace with it. I had saved someone else's life and that was that was the most important thing. The women kept whispering "thank you" in my ear as everything went in and out of focus. As I felt the last bit of life run out of me, I managed a brief smile before being swallowed by darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment