Friday, February 10, 2017

The Devil You Think You Know

So I've been super neglectful as of late with my posts as well as my writing prompts. It's been a bit crazy lately. I moved in September, found out that I would potentially lose my job, retained my job, learned a whole new structure at my job and found out they were laying off even more people again at my job. All has worked out in my favor but my writing has fallen off to the side. I will try to do better.

I started with a prompt, which I do love. This was a fun one and, as usual, I made it a lot longer than I had intended. I hope you enjoy it! I have been working slightly on Bjarke and Iona's story as well as Asra and Liore's. More will come soon! I promise!

[WP] Moments away from a horrific car accident, you throw your hands in the air and shout "Jesus take the wheel!" You open your eyes to see that you're fine. Only, that's not Jesus driving...

"Jesus take the wheel!" I sobbed and throwing my hands in the air as I saw the tractor trailer heading towards my small car with reckless abandonment.

My heart pounded as I waited for inevitable death. I didn't have time to get out of the path of the enormous truck. My parents wouldn't have anything left of me to bury.

"Please, Jesus, take the wheel," I whispered for a second time as I squeezed my eyes shut and anticipated the impact.

The only thing I registered when I let go of the wheel was an immense pressure that sucked the breath from my lungs and the fact that my car came to a sudden stop. Well that wasn't as painful as I was imagining it would be. The impact must have killed me instantly. I cracked open an eye and jumped in my seat as I sa w someone in my passenger's seat.

I let out a small yelp as I looked around wildly. Everything was frozen as if time itself have stopped. I could see the truck only feet from car, the wild look of panic in the driver's eyes as he realized he was going to kill someone today. My breathing came in little gasps as I took in the the well-dressed man sitting next to me.

"Hello, love," he purred and I detected a slight accent. "Looks like you're in a bit of a bind, aren't you?"

Christ on a freakin' cracker. I had begged Jesus to help me and I couldn't exactly explain how someone I had never seen before was sitting in my car and time was frozen other than it was some kind of divine intervention.

"Holy hell," I muttered, staring wide eyed at the stranger and feeling light-headed. "You're Jesus! Though you don't look exactly like I thought you would."

It was true. I wasn't overtly religious but I attended church regularly and my mother always attempted to leave portraits of a bearded, long-haired white man dressed in white robes and wearing a pious expression around my apartment. This man looked nothing like that.

He was good looking with dark brown hair expertly styled with gel, a smart pale gray suit with a white shirt and steel blue tie and black leather gloves covering his hands. His expression was far from pious, a smirk on his lips and a feral gleam in his piercing reddish brown eyes. He shuddered at my utterance.

"I am not Jesus, love," the stranger said, adjusting his gloves. "Thank all that is wretched for that."

'Ba-dump, ba-dump, ba-dump'

My heart speed up as I continued to stare at him.

"Then who are you?"

My voice was weak and raspy as I contemplated who else but Jesus would materialize in my vehicle at my time of need. I tried to swallow past the lump in my throat but I couldn't and I licked my lips to wet them. Those reddish eyes followed the path my tongue took, a wicked little grin forming on the stranger's own lips.

"Oh, someone far worse," he said, reaching over and wiping the wetness of my tears off my cheeks. He licked one finger, tasting the salt there and briefly closed his eyes in satisfaction. "I am Apollyon. Or, known to some as the King of Babylon, Abbadon, Beezlebub, the Evil One. Depends on the century and country."

I opened my mouth but no sound came out and a feeling of dread began to seep into my mind as I came to the realization at who was sitting next to me..

"You may know me as Lucifer or, simply, the Devil," Apollyon said, grinning at me with teeth that were more pointed than was normal.

This was an unexpected turn of events. I hadn't been exactly the most religious person but I certainly wasn't wicked enough to warrant a visit from the Devil. Sure, I lied occasionally, had sex outside of marriage and drank more that I probably should but with all that, I was still a good person. I volunteered every other weekend and I treated people well. I was kind and generous.

"I'm sure you're wondering why it's me sitting here rather than the holy Boy Wonder," he said, running a gloved finger over the dashboard and frowning at the dust he found on his fingertip. "You should really dust this car."

I stared. This was beyond strange. The king of Hell was sitting in my passenger seat judging me because of the dust in my car.

"I'm a little more interested in why I'm not paste on the roadway and your presence rather than the coating of dust my car has," I told him flatly.

"Ah yes," Apollyon said. "The matter of my little visit."

"Is that what this is?"

He smiled slightly at my sarcasm.

"Of course. I am here because you are blessed to be under my protection," Apollyon said.

I started, staring at him in utter shock.

"Have I done something that warrants the protection of the Devil? I'm fairly sure I haven't done anything that would attract your personal attention."

"Being under the protection from Heaven is utterly boring and trying," the Devil said. "They make you do all sorts of pesky tasks to earn their protection."

I cocked an eyebrow at him.

"And your protection doesn't come with any stipulations?"

He shrugged.

"Of course it comes with stipulations but mine are much more fun," he said with a wicked smile. "And how you fall under my protection is an interesting story."

"How interesting?" I asked.

Apollyon pulled off one of his gloves and extended that hand to me.

"Interesting enough where you'll want to come with me, love," he said, voice low and intense.

I hesitated.

"You can either come with me or have an early death," he said, side-eyeing the truck that was still frozen feet away. "Your choice."

I cautiously reached out and placed my hand in his. A searing heat blazed through me as he gripped my hand with surprising gentleness.

"Excellent," Apollyon purred and we disappeared into darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment