Friday, July 1, 2016

Trapped

Hey everyone, it's been awhile. I'm so sorry for neglecting you all. I have been very remiss this month in completing writing prompts. I've been busy searching for a job in my field, which hasn't been easy, especially when the industry is so small. Back in March, I ran into a speed bump in my career that I was afraid would ruin me forever. But I'm happy to announce that it hasn't.

I was also offered a job today, which I accepted so my writing skills might be a bit sharper and Iona and Bjarke may get a bit more ignored. I'm really trying, I promise. I hope to have something up about them by the end of next week.

Until that time, however, please enjoy this other little writing prompt that I did. My first in almost a month.

[WP] You are an ancient evil, sealed away millennia ago by a legendary hero. You have escaped your imprisonment and attained a physical form. The first course of business? Learning how to walk.

She was finally free. After millennia of being bound to the Amulet of Bast, some fool had finally broken the spell and Neith was finally released from her hellish prison. Stretching her arms to the sky, the ancient, evil being and cooed with delight.

Wait... Cooed? Neith began to panic slightly, confused by the sound that came from her mouth. She was a thing to be feared. She did not... coo. She attempted to howl in triumph, but it came out more like a ear piecing and desperate sounding shriek.

No, no, no, no. Something was not right. Neith lifted her head as best she could, noting how heavy it seemed to be now. She waved her arms in frustration and was bewildered to see they were soft, small and pudgy. She flexed each tiny fist, perplexed at her situation. What in all the Gods' names was going on? Neith began screaming, the sound practically sending shockwaves through the room. Moments later, a small boned and harassed looking woman came rushing into the room.

"Oh, my poor darling," the woman said in a babying tone. "What is the matter?"

'How dare you speak to me as in such an insolent way! I am an ancient being to be feared and worshiped, not coddled,' Neith snapped.

Her protests instead came out as high volume shrieks as opposed to a voice that typically sent mere mortals to their knees. As her yowling got louder, the woman picked sat her up and made her turn so she was facing reflective glass.

"Emma, look who it is! That's you!" the women said, pointing to Neith's reflection. "It's my sweet baby girl in the mirror."

'Bloody fucking hell,' Neith thought, staring at her reflection. She was a Gods damned infant.

This was an absolute nightmare. Neith had not thought for a second that, when the seal on the Amulet of Bast was broken, that she would be forced into the body of a helpless child. This was an absolute nightmare.

Ready to cry again in frustration, Neith took a long look at herself in the mirror. If she was going to be stuck in this body, she was going to own it. She looked down at her fleshy legs and moved them experimentally.

'Alright,' Neith thought. 'First things first: learn how to walk."




Research Notes: Hello again. Thanks for making it this far! Research note time! If you've read anything else on my blog, you will know that I try to put significance in most of my writing, a lot of times through names. I do make an effort to do some research about what I'm writing. This time, I'm based in Egypt, but with names only and there's not too much to report. Neith means Goddess of War, and if you're going to have an all powerful evil, she might as well be the goddess of war.

The Amulet of Bast isn't a real thing (I checked) but Bast is a real Egyptian Goddess; She was the daughter of Ra and become the goddess of protection,  protection and blessing,and was the protectress of women, children, and domestic cats. She was the goddess of sunrise, music, dance, and pleasure as well as family, fertility, and birth. That's according to Wikipedia. Bad source, I know, but it's around 4 a.m. my time right now and the proper research habits are out the window with my need for sleep. I hope you enjoyed the story!

No comments:

Post a Comment